Friday 25 September 2015

Don't you just love it when..

Everyone loves a bargain, but it’s even better when the bargain turns out to be even more of a bargain than you originally thought. This happened to me just the other week.

We’d gone down to London for a family party and that packing gremlin had come with us*.  My carefully thought out party outfit was completely inappropriate. Never mind, I thought, perfect excuse for a trip to the shops. I left the children with their grandparents and went up the road to the High Street for a mooch round the shops. I had a lovely time; I really enjoyed being able to take my time in each shop and not having to look in the toy section. It’s always interesting going to charity shops in a different place and there were some great bargains to be found. One shop was selling Whistles and Jigsaw trousers for a pound a pair! Not my size sadly but I did pick up a pair of Gap trousers for £1.50. But I didn’t find anything suitable for the party. By this point the sun had come out and it was turning into a glorious afternoon, making my already inappropriate outfit even more so.

I popped into Sainsburys for some ground cumin and there in the clothes section on the sale rail, looking a bit sorry for itself as it was the only one of its kind left, was a dress. Not just any dress but a dress in a style I really like – that is, it had a collar and wasn’t too short – at half price, and amazingly, in my size. I grabbed it and went to search for the cumin. I then had a battle with myself. Even at half price it was still more than I’d normally pay for a dress and it wasn’t as if I really needed a new one. Shopping in charity shops really does give you a skewed view of the cost of things. I then told myself to stop being so stupid (still while looking for cumin) so by the time I got to the till I was ok with it again. So imagine my absolute delight when I put it through the self-service scanner and it had been reduced further – it was only £5.40! If you are thinking that “absolute delight” is a bit strong then this has never happened to you. It really is a great feeling. I carried on my way with a spring in my step and a smile on my face.

So my original party outfit was cast aside in favour of my new dress which looked even better on. (It’s good when it happens that way round.) Even my husband said it looked nice! It will come as no surprise that I just so happened to have a cardigan with me that went with it perfectly. Of course I did.

Sophie x




*If you’ve no idea what I’m talking about see my earlier post “I hate packing”



The dress. Admittedly it doesn't look great on the hanger, but it is lovely, honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment