Thursday 10 September 2015

Charity shopping for Halloween

My costume. I seem to have acquired a witch’s familiar.
This year it was me and my husband, not the kids, who were invited to a Halloween party – imagine my excitement, I love to dress up. I knew I had some stripy tights stashed away in the loft and witches’ hats were only a pound in Lidl, so, it seemed sensible, if not original, to go as a witch. All I needed was a dress and what better place to look than the charity shops.
So off I went, and who should I bump in to there but Belinda. We’ve trained her well. I was very lucky and without much looking, I found just the dress – strapless, silvery grey with black and silver pattern on it so it looked a bit cob web-y. It’s the kind of dress I would love to wear but wouldn’t usually have the nerve or occasion to do so; so perfect. And only £1.99!
 On the day of the party my mum came to visit. I think I’ve probably mentioned that I get my love of charity shops from her, so of course we had a potter round them. I struck lucky again and found (even though I wasn’t looking for them) some ankle boots with a heel and square toes for £3.50. Just right for a witch and finished off my outfit a treat. I would wear them normally as well.
I got all dressed up; my mum had to sew me into the dress as it was a bit big, and thought I looked rather good, I even had a wig. However the general consensus was that my real hair looked more witch like so I was overruled by my family on that one. Charming!
We had a great night and I didn’t even have to say “it’s from a charity shop” – they just knew.
Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment