Thursday 10 September 2015

The Nearly New Sale and my inner hoarder


I am a bit of shopper and a massive hoarder – yes there I said it. 
I get this wonderful trait from my Dad who still has his notes from University in the loft much to my mum’s dismay. I love keeping stuff; you never know when it might come in handy! My husband doesn’t share this trait and finds it ridiculous to keep bags of clothes that I haven’t been worn for years. Only fellow hoarders can appreciate finding a top which you thought had seen its day only to make it a staple of your current wardrobe.
It takes me a long time to part with things, in our loft there are lots of bits and bobs which mean nothing to other people but mean a lot to me. A bag of gifts from my hen night the contents of which still make me laugh. Letters written to pen pals 25 years ago, I’m still waiting for one of them to become famous! Coats I might wear again one day and yes lots and lots of stuff from when our children were little. There did come a point about 5 years ago when I realised our house was starting to sag due to the weight of baby grows, trainers and clothes which both the children had grown out of. Being a soppy sentimental mother but it still took me ages to decide that it was about time I had a clear out. 
The NCT nearly new sale is a biannual event in our town, it’s a bonkers day that raises loads of cash for the charity and gives people a chance to buy second hand babies and kids clothes for a fraction of the price. 
Being a seller is quite an arduous task, everything needs to be ironed, immaculate, labelled, priced and on a hanger – there are never enough hangers. Once your items are at the sale, lots of lovely volunteers place all your items on rails in the right age range and then the fun really begins and the sale goes mad. Hundreds of people descend and as a seller you stand back and hope people want to buy your items.  I used to love the sales; I bought loads and loads of clothes and toys for the kids and took great delight in how cheap it all was! The best purchase was a tag along for my bike so that our daughter could come on bike rides; at £25 it was an absolute steal. These days our two are not really in the target market any more so our last trip was a bit of sad end of an era type day. 
I took three massive Ikea bags and got back just over one bag, which was very kindly collected by my lovely friend Emily. I think my inner hoarder has gone on holiday and what came back from the sale has gone to the charity shop and friends children – whether they like it or not…
Hoarding is great within reason, I don’t have the piles of old newspapers just yet. (Although I do have a programme from every concert, gig and show I’ve been too for the last 25 years but they will be worth a fortune one day won’t they?)  There is a happy balance to be had and I think we have it. But might be worth avoiding telling my husband about the 3 massive bags that are hidden in the loft…..

No comments:

Post a Comment