Thursday 10 September 2015

While the kids are away....


Over the holidays the boys went to stay with their grandparents in London for nearly a week. This is by far the longest time they have been away from us and after I got over my initial apprehension I was quite excited about it. “It’ll be great” I said to my husband, “just think how much more time we’ll have. We can go out for dinner or just pop to the pub.” “No” he replied “we’re decorating the kitchen.
So my child free time was not as relaxing as I was hoping for but I was able to have an unaccompanied potter around the charity shops. Since starting work I’ve not had much opportunity to do this and I’ve found myself making excuses to go into town just so I can get my fix. “I just need to pop to the post office” I’ll say, and then “the queues were dreadful” when I return much later than expected. So I jumped at the opportunity to have a more leisurely trip to the shops.
If I don’t have much time I just do Barnardos and the Salvation Army. The Salvation Army shop has overtaken Barnardos as my favourite as it has a much better layout and a fabulous sale rail. On this trip I picked up a French Connection Bretton style top, an emerald green Top Shop top and an M&S cardi – all 50p each! So I’ve may have taken my cardigan tally up to 23, but as it is lovely periwinkle blue colour and (did I mention?) only fifty pence, how could I not?
I did ask in a previous post what was a normal amount of clothing for a woman. I heard on the radio yesterday that the average woman owns seven pairs of jeans, so at four pairs I am way below average. I’ll be sure to mention this the next time my husband complains about all the clothes I have. I will, of course, fail to point out that I rarely wear jeans and I certainly won’t be mentioning the cardigans.
The boys are home now and the kitchen is decorated. I also managed to have a bit of clear out while they were away and guess who’ll be volunteering to take the bag of discards to the charity shop…
Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment