Thursday 10 September 2015

Outlet shopping’s not for me.


My first love of discount shopping began at a shop called ‘Cactus’ a massive retail emporium on the Oldham Road in Manchester. It was basically a cash and carry and as a teenager we often went to see what we could find. I can still remember what it felt like to walk into this warehouse of clothes, shoes, hats, coats amongst other things.
I’ve always enjoyed shopping on the high street but when the wonderful outlet villages hit our shores they were my dream come true. Cheshire Oaks got a fair few visits, Clarks Village in Street was a wonder, McArthur Glen in York was also a favourite and I often headed up the A40 from London to visit the wonderful Bicester Village. You may think I travel great distances for my retail fix, I must mention I have family in Manchester, Yorkshire and Somerset – hence my visits!
These meccas for discounted brands fed a double need in me, the chance to buy posh designer clothes and not spend full whack – happy days. The layout of these villages – all very New England America was such a draw. I still remember a Calvin Klein bag I bought at Bicester, a wonderful bag and as a hoarder one I still own. The delight I got when I bought it for about £35 was hard to forget.
Until yesterday I hadn’t been to one of these centres for over 10 years, the days of whole Saturdays spent shopping are long gone so when I realised I might have the chance to drop in I was v excited. I headed from Bicester on the way back from Cheltenham as a stop off at shopping mecca – amazing! I ran in over the bridge and was ready to shop! My enthusiasm was soon dampened as the first shop I saw was Chloe, then Dior, then Stella McCartney. Wonderful designers but even at an outlet they were far beyond me. I grabbed a map and headed off to look for some more realistic shops. I walked and walked and my elation at being back in Bicester started to evaporate. Jimmy Choo, Lulu Guniness and Prada this really was now super top end and not quite what I had in mind. Head down I thought I might try a bit of Superdry, I’ve been after a body warmer for ages and thought this would be a good bet. Sadly it would seem that as a size 12, I am too big for the large – not great for anyone’s ego…. I asked if they did a bigger size than large and the sales assistant looked at me like I was a geriatric moron. He also looked at me with pity, not great.
I had spotted an Uggs shop so in a last ditch attempt to have something to go home with I thought I would try there. At last, that pair of boots (yes the very same ones I’ve been looking for forever!) and at outlet prices. Sadly it would seem that Superdry isn’t the only shop I’m too big for, I also have feet too fat to get in a pair of Uggs, the service is this shop was pretty shoddy too. Lots of people trying to look cool in lovely lipstick but lacking any efficiency or customer service.
So having had a lovely little trip to Starbucks I headed home, disappointed and a bit glum. I did however have a little stop off at TK Maxx and managed to buy some Michael Kors sunglasses, a pair of Diesel trainers, a Crew T shirt for my son and a lovely little dress for my daughter.
You can keep Bicester, give me TK Maxx anytime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment