Thursday 10 September 2015

New job!


I’ve just come to the end of my first week in my new job. I’ve been a full time mum for the last six years so it’s been a bit of an adjustment, but it’s also been great to spend time with people who don’t constantly stand on your feet. I’d forgotten how at home I feel in a library and I’ve been made to feel very welcome. There was even champagne and cake on my first day, not in my honour and it hasn’t happened since, but what a great start!
So why am I telling you this, what does it have to do with charity shops? Well, firstly, I haven’t had to dress smartly for a long time. I haven’t been living in tracky bottoms if you were wondering, though it was tempting at times. So I’ve quite enjoyed planning what to wear and I’ve worn a charity shop bargain every day. In fact on my first day I wore a cardigan (naturally) from Salvation Army, skirt from the market and shoes from Lidl. I did, however fall over on the way there! Dirty knees weren’t the look I was going for but no one seemed to notice.
Secondly, I really missed working so going back to work has got me thinking about what I’ll miss about not working. Along with Radcliffe and Maconie on the radio and cake, charity shops were one of the first things I thought of (not my kids, I now realise). They’ve been a big part of my life over the last few years. They’ve not only provided me with cheap clothes and something to blog about but when my boys were babies I often put them in the pram and took them round the charity shops just to get out of the house. So you could say that they saved my sanity.
I’m also going to miss seeing Ingrid so much. We’ve done quite a bit of stuff together; this bog, craft group and even running. Of course, being British I’ve not told her this so don’t let on.
This isn’t goodbye though, I’ll still be blogging and shopping in charity shops.
Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment