Thursday 10 September 2015

  1. My Oxfam find x
  2. Its not all about me you know...
     When I go charity shopping, I’m pretty much always looking for something for me. Selfish I know but my kids have lots of toys and plenty of clothes, I tend to wait till we go on our “holiday rummage” to get them what they see as a little treat or two. I do look after my gorgeous little God Daughter Beth every couple of weeks and we often head to different Charity shops on our girlie mornings. I think my friend Cathryn despairs in the regular return from the shops with another pink stuffed toy or more books or tops. I suppose I feel like I’m treating her, its not expensive but I’m slowly becoming know as the one who buys the teddies– a bad trait – absolutely and I love it!
    I do love buying second hand books, both for the kids and for me. I remember the moment I found a whole set of reading books which were the perfect reading level for my son. To buy them full price would have been a fortune but to get them from the British Heart Foundation shop was a dream. I always but my chick lit from charity shops, it just makes sense to me.
    One of my best buys was a rather battered book which really caught my eye. It was in one of my unusual forays into Oxfam and was in what they call their “vintage” section. It was a book of watercolour pictures of Oxford, I bought it for my friend Suzy who went to University there. We have got to a stage in life where buying gifts is getting tricky as we are apparently “a nightmare to buy for”. She loved it, there was a photo of her college and plenty of others and she was delighted! I did have that moment when I thought this is it, this book is indeed a rare treasure worth thousands!! I googled the book and found that rather than being a one off, you can buy the same book in better condition for the same amount of money. So sadly my trip to Sotherby’s will be on hold for now…

No comments:

Post a Comment