Thursday 10 September 2015

Vintage - part 2


Last week Ingrid asked for someone to enlighten her regarding the attraction of vintage. Whereas I certainly can’t claim to do that I thought I’d put my thoughts down too.
I do see the attraction of vintage to a certain extent as with a vintage item of clothing you are likely to be getting something that is unique, well made and a bargain. I too loved Dawn O’Porter’s “This Old Thing” and avidly watched it, probably texting Ingrid while doing so. The bit I particularly liked was when they altered vintage clothes to make them fit or to change the stye. This really highlighted the quality of the clothes – their big hems and wide seams allowed for alteration. Though what I didn’t get was a lot of these things were altered quite drastically, often to update them. Does this still class as vintage? Also, by the time the item had been bought from a vintage shop, which weren’t as cheap as I expected, and then the shopper had to pay for alteration, the item wasn’t really a bargain anymore. The fact that it was unique, therefore, would be its only attraction.
I also have a problem with vintage shops. To me, in order to feel really pleased at finding a vintage gem you have to work for it, trawl through charity shops, go to jumble sales or turn up clothes in unusual places. (In the 90s I had a pair of 70s Levi flared cords which I loved and wore until they went see through. My dad found them at work propping up a ladder.) A vintage shop seems like cheating to me. You wouldn’t feel smug about going into a book shop and buying a good book, now would you!
Although I’ve just said that charity shops are the place to go to look for vintage, I also, like Ingrid, don’t get on with them having vintage sections. There’s no pleasing me, is there. They invariably get it wrong and the item isn’t vintage, just dated or whacky and it just seems like an excuse to charge more for something which is crimplene and hideous.
My other problem is I don’t think vintage is very practical. Dawn O’Porter wore some amazing clothes in the programme and looked fantastic. That’s all well and good if you’re on the telly but a bit much for the school run or a trip to Lidl. Also vintage doesn’t seem to include jumpers, I kept thinking, lovely dress but I’d be chilly.
So whereas I do like the idea of vintage, unless I manage to unearth some finds in the charity shops of St Neots (and that would have to include cardigans), it’s not for me either.
Sorry, Ingrid, I’ve been no help whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment