Thursday 10 September 2015

A drive through?!


Half term is nearly over and a week with the kids has been full of highs and lows. A family trip to the Peak District has blown away the cobwebs and with a few sunny days we’ve had a grand old time. The lows were thankfully few and far between but as the kids are now starting to bicker and annoy each other so this weekend could be a little more challenging!
One shocker was our journey north. Call us naïve but we decided to set off mid morning on bank holiday Monday to go and meet some lovely friends who have recently moved back from the States. The initial run was fine, the good old A1 sent us north and the Sat Nav seemed to be making sense, or so we thought. I must be getting lazy in my old age but we just went with what she said, lets go along the A52 and through the centre of Nottingham – oh alright then (Wait and stop and go the other way I hear you cry!) So we struggled through this lovely city, past the football grounds, past the Castle, past two houses I lived in whilst at Uni – yes we were that close to the middle. It took forever but the one saving grace was I saw probably the most ingenious Charity Shop ever. A petrol station had been converted into a drive through Cancer Research shop – AMAZING!! There are so many run down petrol stations around and I often hear from friends that dropping stuff off on the high street is a right old pain – a perfect solution.
After this fantastic retail revelation that I kept banging on about, we then continued on our long journey. The Sat Nav took us through Matlock on one of the busiest Motorbike days of the year only to crawl through the town watching leather clad peeps saunter around eating chips and checking out their bikes. 
So we eventually met up with our friends a whopping 2 hours late (even when the kids were babies I was never this late!) and the calm descended and we had a really good time.
The Peak District is so full of lovely scenery, gorgeous villages and fab walks I didn’t get chance to do any charity shopping. But then I was spending my time drinking tea and eating cake in tearooms, going up cable cars with the family, mooching round vintage shops and loving the playground and shop at Chatsworth House – I could have spent a fortune.
A fabaroo week and well-done Cancer Research and please can we have some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment