Thursday 10 September 2015

Vintage - Que?!


I made be showing myself as a bit of a heathen here but I’m a bit baffled by Vintage clothing. I’ve really tried to understand the joys of finding an original 1960’s mini dress that fits perfectly but as yet I’ve not quite got it.
I thought to overcome this naivety, I would watch the wonderful Dawn O’Porter’s programme ‘This Old Thing” on the telly and see how its done. Being a bit of a TV nerd, I watched every single one of them and thought it was great television but how can this be interpreted in my little St Neots bubble? The premise being to try to convince non-vintage peeps that these clothes and style are the way forward. Well it worked on the telly box as they headed to Portobello Road, Shoreditch and Spittalfields to wonderful vintage shops full of amazing clothes, boots, hats and accessories. If I lived there, I would love to spend hours looking in these shops hoping to leave looking like a 1964 Twiggy but more likely to look like Hilda Ogden.
Where I get lost is when vintage moves to a small market town in Cambridgeshire. One of our charity shops recently went all vintage. There was lots of shabby chic bunting, signs written on doilies and clothes in the window that Ivy Tilsley would have been proud of (sorry, no more Coronation Street references I promise). I tried to embrace this new idea and deep down I was pleased they were trying something new well old new. On entering the shop it all went down hill for me. The clothes just weren’t my cup of tea, there were plenty of old clothes but for me Clockhouse was left in the 80’s with a promise never to return. Maybe I am a bit set in my ways and at 40 years old I feel quite comfortable saying that. Maybe I just need to admit that I’m not really the target market for Vintage. Having said that, I do have a top from Kookai that I’ve had for 20 years, it doesn’t fit me but I keep it so that one day it will be vintage or maybe it already is.
Maybe someone could enlighten me, am I being too blinkered? do you have something amazing that you call vintage? Answers on a postcard please x

No comments:

Post a Comment