Friday 4 December 2015

The Beaver Ball and other ramblings...

I’m sure you are all desperate to know what I wore to the Beaver Ball, well, I’m sorry to say that on this occasion charity shops failed me. Serves me right for not adhering to my own rule – don’t shop for anything specific (see post entitled The Dos and Don’t of Charity Shopping).

However, while searching in the Salvation Army shop I got my best haul yet from their sale rail. That is:
  • two Next tops (one of which I’d seen in Next a couple of years ago, liked but not bought)
  • pair of Esprit trousers
  • sparkly dress
  • Jane Norman shorts
Three pounds the lot! That is less than a pint. In fact, often when I go out my drink costs more than my dress.
Even though I really like the shorts I bought I am not sure that I’m brave enough to wear them, they’re not called shorts for nothing. My husband even hinted (actually, he wasn’t as subtle as to hint) that I am too old to wear them. The cheek! But am I?
I’m going out tonight and am tempted to give them a whirl. So if you are in the St Neots area and spot a middle aged, bushy haired woman in shorts, buy her a drink. Did I mention that they’re orange?

Talking of clothes that I may never wear, numerous people, some I didn’t even know read this blog, have asked whether I’ve worn the Jean Paul Gautier short/pants thing yet. In answer, I have not. But it is the party season so you never know. Though as yet I have not received an invitation to a “wear your weirdest item of clothing” party, but that gives me an idea…

I digress. So after trips to the charity shops and trying yet more of Ingrid’s dresses, she has some beauties, but I still couldn’t keep them up, I ended up wearing a dress that I bought new from TK Maxx. I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before as it is a beautiful emerald green colour and when I tried it on in the shop my mum said “I hate that colour but it looks amazing on you”. I focussed on the amazing bit. I had been unsure about wearing it as it is very clingy but then I had the brainwave of putting a petticoat underneath it and that did the trick. If I’m the type to wear a petticoat perhaps my husband has a point about the shorts! I’m not even sure you can get them these days. This particular one I’ve had since I was a student twenty years ago. So my dress may not have been second hand but my undergarment was vintage!

Anyway we had a great time at the ball and everyone looked amazing. I’d definitely go again next year though I may start looking for my dress now.

No comments:

Post a Comment