Saturday 12 December 2015

Off to a gig

On Tuesday night I went to a proper gig. An old school, take me back to my teens type gig. That could mean anything from Wet Wet Wet to Simply Red (ahem, blushes with embarrassment) but it was a little more credible as it was The Inspiral Carpets and Shed Seven.

I was all set with my jeans, trainers, floaty top (from Scope) and a big scarf (Salvation Army). No bag, which is unheard of for me, just my phone, a bit of cash and my car keys. I did leg it into the venue because I was freezing as I’m no longer a cold proof 18 year old.  Once in the venue I was transported back to the days of Worlds Colliding, a fella called Joe, Disco Down and of course I chased a few rainbows. This will mean nothing to some but plenty to others. We had gone all the way to Hatfield to go to the Forum, which was an actual Student Union! I hadn’t been in one of these for well about 20 years!

It was while Shed Seven were playing away, I turned to my left and saw a face I recognised. Not from real life but from the Twitterverse. Caroline Jones from @knickersmyown was standing right next to me! A friend of mine recommended her and I have followed Caroline for the last 6 months. Her idea is great, she has been raising money for Cancer Research by wearing a different outfit each day for a year all bought from her Cancer Research charity shop then sold on Ebay, she has raised a whopping £36k! A real achievement!

Well I must say I was a bit star struck. A proper bona fide Twitter celeb was just there having a bit of a dance and a bit of a sing. I had to say hello so I shuffled round and babbled away with good old Rick singing away in the background.  She was ace, we had a bit of a chat and I gushed about her being an inspiration. I suppose that to me, Caroline has made charity shop shopping more cool and well normal. I think I might have said that at the time, whether she could hear me over the singing I don’t know! My friends all thought I was accosting random stranger, lets hope she didn’t think the same……


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment