Friday 27 November 2015

The end of an era

I’m afraid I’m going to go all dramatic and a little sentimental this week as I say goodbye to one of the things that got me into charity shopping in the first place.

This time last year I wrote all about the joys of St Neots NCT Nearly New Sales. The wonders I found when I first went shopping in the madness and organised chaos of these bi-annual events. On my first visit I bought so much stuff for my son and for my daughter I think my husband thought I had gone mad! As much as I love shopping, I also enjoyed being a seller, the labelling and pricing was always a bind but to me it was a way of clearing out (hard to do as a resident hoarder) and to make a bit of money for the charity. This fun has lasted for years, well at least 7 as I started out when my daughter was a baby.

I therefore looked forward to the recent sale with great anticipation; I had sorted out the loft (no mean feat) and had plenty of stuff to sell. I got it all ready, washed, ironed, labelled and bagged ready to go. Now as an old hand at this, I obviously didn’t read through the sellers’ notes, even when it was stressed I should do so. So it came as a massive surprise when I read they had dropped to top age of clothing you can sell to 5 years old! I had bagged up so many clothes age 6,7&8 I was gutted that I didn’t read the notes! I also felt a bit silly that those people sorting and hanging my items would have wondered what on earth I was thinking! I think I got most of it back but anything else will hopefully have gone to a charity shop nearby.

So it was with some melancholy and a tinge of sadness that as I realised I was too old. Another nail in the ageing coffin. This age thing isn’t something particularly new for me, I’m never to wear hot pants (thank god I hear you cry), go clubbing “down Ashton” as I used to as a teen and sadly I will never be in a girl band or be a prima ballerina. So this is something else to add. Thank you NCT for all the fond years but you have now gone the way of the gold sparkly hot pants and pints of Snakebite and Black.

Maybe I should organise an over 5’s Nearly New Sale, any takers to help? xx

No comments:

Post a Comment