Friday 13 November 2015

Bubbles, bakes and wearing purple.


This month is Pancreatic Cancer awareness month and Friday 13th November is World Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Day. This is a cause close to two of my friends who have lost loved ones to this dreadful disease. To help with a bit of fundraising, these two friends are taking part in something called Host for Hope a great idea of hosting a night in and getting baking! What could be more fun! The night is called Bubbles and Bakes – happy days. Now the bubbles part I am more than happy with but the baking element has got me quaking. I’m not a natural baker but I’m going to have a go, always reliant on the fact that if what I bake looks terrible I will say the kids helped me!
As an extra little twist, we’ve all been asked to wear purple. A great idea, I had a little look in my wardrobe but couldn’t really find anything I could wear, well apart from my purple boots – hurrah a reason to wear them and look like a middle aged super hero! So with a purple challenge I headed to the charity shops.

Looking for a specific colour in charity shops does make the process a little trickier, it takes less time as you can quickly skim through the rails but it is hard not to get side tracked! The Salvation Army is perfect for this as everything is sorted by colour which in this case was more Bonne Marche floral lilac not really my thing. I was a little disappointed that I couldn’t find anything in my favourite shop so I headed to my other fave Barnardos. This shop has a new manager and now has much less stock to rifle through, the layout is better but there it does feel like something is missing. I did however manage to stumble on a little turquoise coat for £2, what a steal! It was a size 14 but when I tried it on it felt a bit tight round my shoulder. Never mind, it’s a Butterfly by Matthew Williamson and its only £2 so I bought it. It wasn’t until I got home I realised it was actually not a size 15 but an age 14! On the one hand I’m quite pleased I can fit in a kids coat but on the other hand, I’m afraid I’ll be matching the local schoolgirls! Anyway, I digress.  Undeterred I nipped in to the British Heart Foundation shop and had a good old rummage, there is something about this shop which I find really homely. Maybe it’s the lovely lady who works there or maybe it’s the way it’s laid out, BHF does have a higher price point but it is a really nice shop. Happily I found a fabulous little purple and black skirt from M&S, it’s a 10, which is a bit snug, but so long as I don’t sit down (!) it should be fine! I’m going to finally wear my purple superhero boots and I’ve bought a lovely little necklace which should look ok so fingers crossed it will all work out! I must say I did feel a certain level of satisfaction as I legged it back to the car as my parking ticket had run out. I’d achieved a double result, buying from a charity shop to wear something for a charity do – hurrah!

Photos will be uploaded after our charity night; I’m really looking forward to it. Now for the small matter of baking a cake, step aside Nigella; the new finest baker is in town………



No comments:

Post a Comment