Friday 15 January 2016

The post Christmas clear out


I recently read an article about the post Christmas clear out. I know I’ve sent some stuff to the charity shop to make way for new toys and clothes for the kids (obviously not for me as I still love to hoard). I’ve also been out and bought some new storage, which makes it look like I’m clearing out, but I’m just using the space more effectively…

So, according to this article, in that there London they are taking the clear out to a whole new level. The article showed a rather fancy looking tip / recycling centre where people were happily throwing TV’s, IPads, bikes into a skip, yes a skip! Now I’m sure they had their reasons, they’d got a new telly, a newer model IPad and the kids had new bikes but taking it to a recycling centre and throwing it in a SKIP?! Now I’m a bit confused, maybe this is the best way to get rid of things in the metropolis but something didn’t quite sit right with me.  The pictures of the overflowing skips were staggering, I’ve put a link to the article below, as I really couldn’t believe my eyes.

Having calmed myself down, I continued to read and I was relieved to find out that all of these items weren’t heading to landfill. They were to have a new life! Hurray! Thankfully the company that runs this tip, sorry recycling centre, (Western Riverside Waste Authority) have an amazing plan all of this unwanted waste. Some proper rubbish was sent down the river to landfill, plenty went to be recycled and thank goodness some went to charity shops.

What really caught my eye and put my faith back in human nature was a fab charity called www.shopreworks.com/shop/.  This is an online shop where some of the items that were surplus to requirements went to be given a new lease of life. A brilliant example of upcycling – love it! I particularly like the messenger bag made from seatbelts – I do need a new handbag honest.

So here is the article, have a read and decide for yourself. I’m relieved that many of the items found a new home.



PS, this is probably the only Daily Mail article I actually quite like……

No comments:

Post a Comment