Friday 8 January 2016

I've come back into fashion!

It’s official – dungarees are back in fashion*. I’ve had my suspicions for a while as I’ve spotted a few people wearing them who didn’t look pregnant or under three years of age. They’ve even cropped up on the telly. The Great Pottery Throw Down and Tattoo Fixers have both had people wearing dungarees on them and if that doesn’t cover a wide cross section of society, I don’t know what does. But it was finally confirmed when I popped into New Look sale and saw dungarees to buy, not in the sale but new stock. This included a cord dungaree dress not at all dissimilar to the one I bought in Barnardos for £1.99.

“Brilliant” I thought, “I’ve come back into fashion, I can wear my dungaree dresses with pride, (yes, I have more than one) and may even dig out my denim ones from the loft”.  I was then aghast. Since when have I been worried about being fashionable? You can’t spend your life dressed in second hand clothes and be influenced by fashion, it’s just not possible. So why am I thinking about it now? It’s ok, I thought, I’m still a geek, I wear cords. But my cords are no longer flared but skinny. What has happened to me? 

It got me thinking about how influenced by fashion we all are. My dad would claim never to have followed fashion and wears socks and sandals yet even he wore flares in the seventies. We just can’t help it, it’s down to availability. Also, if you keep clothes as long as I do it’s inevitable that you will come in and out of fashion.
I also started to wonder whether someone in the fashion business reads this blog and I am not actually following trends but setting them. It can not be coincidence that I write about dungarees and then they appear in the shops. Can it? Please don’t burst my bubble.

So, fortunately I’m not a fashion victim, the problem now is that if I’ve come back into style I won’t be able to find dungarees in the charity shops for a couple of quid.

I did go up the loft to put the Christmas decorations away and found my dungarees. I’m wearing them now. Gosh, they’re comfy and my husband hasn’t commented on them so I can’t look that ridiculous either – oh hang on, Everton are on the telly, I could be sat here in my pants and he wouldn't notice…..


* I've a bit of a thing for dungarees, see earlier post -
http://theprudentpair.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/the-true-confessions-of-dungaree-lover.html

No comments:

Post a Comment