Thursday 5 March 2015

The recent convert


I’m a relatively recent convert to shopping at charity shops and I am definitely making up for lost time. In the words of X Factor, my journey to all things preowned has been a long and winding one. Admittedly I was a bit of a second hand snob, when our children were born I insisted any toys which had been owned before were put through the dishwasher – I kid you not.
My first real venture into second hand was via the wonderful NCT Nearly New Sales, a vast room full of everything baby with so many sellers and bits to buy – kid in a sweet shop, I think so! I soon became a seller too and twice a year I can be found at the Priory Centre helping, selling, buying and buying some more.
From then I headed for the high street, for me to venture into a charity shop was quite a big step, the first time I went charity shopping was with my friend Sally who is a veteran in these things. I wandered in and started to have a look around. Ridiculously I felt so self conscious thinking people would look at me but funnily enough no one gave two hoots.
I think my husband would agree that I love shopping, whether it be online or on the high street I like the feeling I get when I buy something new to me. Since moving to St Neots I’ve found the shops here aren’t really able to provide me with the choice and style I like. New Look is great but I fear I’m getting a bit old for the styles they sell. Beales is wonderful and has some great names like Phase Eight and Esprit but they are maybe a bit pricey to feed my need to shop.
There has been lots of talk about the increasing number of charity shops in St Neots, I’m a great believer in the shops being full rather than empty so why not add to the high street and give to charity. I’ve since found I can get a Thomas Pink shirt for £5 and Coast top for £2, now theres no chance they will be opening shops here any time soon!
Since my first foray I think I have become a bit addicted, I love shopping and miss Regent Street and the choice of London but I’ve found I can still shop a lot and spend a fraction of what I used to spend! There’s nothing better than bringing a bag home filled with bargain buys and getting them on as soon as possible! This love of all things preloved has brought about this blog. We hope you like it and can get the same charity shop bug that we have!
Till next time
Ingrid xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment