Friday 18 September 2015

Refashionista!


Our little blog is now a whole year old! Where has that time gone? 
Well if you asked my husband the time has gone into me spending time buying lots and lots of clothes from charity shops and getting giddy about it. I would say it has gone into helping me be a better shopper and having some amazing clothes at the fraction of the shop price.

Both Sophie and I have also made a lot of mistakes, I have clothes in my wardrobe that I wonder what made me buy them. Was it the fabric, the cut, the name, the price who knows? I am often encouraged by my nearest and dearest to have a big old clear out but as you know I love to hoard. So it was with great delight I found I had another reason to hoard and potentially up cycle. For my birthday, my husband bought me a fantastic book called “The Refashion Handbook” by my new hero Beth Huntington. What a fabulous book full of ideas on how to make clothes fit better and brilliantly refashion and make look like a different item of clothing. 


A few weeks ago I mentioned in the blog about two dresses I had worn to death last year but didn’t really work this year. Well as I love the fabric on one of them I have big plans on making the dress into a maxi skirt for my holibobs. Watch this space.

It also got me thinking about a halter neck denim maxi dress, which I bought years ago from a charity shop and for some reason didn’t really get on with it. It might have been that it had an enormous amount of fabric and was a bit much for the early days of maxi dresses. Earlier this year I went all drastic and shortened it, well in my terms chopped the bottom off and hemmed it. It was a revelation! I loved my new summer dress until I started wearing it. It would seem the frock had a simple problem of it not really fitting on the top as I think the elastic was on its way out. I had to tie the halter neck so tight to keep it from sagging at the back I ended up walking with a stoop. So then, what to do? Well hello new book! Why not chop the halter off and make a mid length denim skirt? Hurrah, a challenge indeed especially when denim is everywhere at the moment (yes I’ve actually read Grazia and that’s what they say!).

Well its under way and I think it looks ok, I’m planning on buying some funky ribbon to sew along the bottom. Any ideas though would be much appreciated. The length is a bit of an odd one but I’m continuing to play around with it so hopefully I’ll have a nice A line denim skirt v soon.

I’ll keep you posted on my refashioning ups and downs as I’m sure there will be many! Now where are those frocks……







No comments:

Post a Comment